Saturday, November 28, 2009
for my Dad to go on his way. We've been told to make him comfortable and he was returned to our local VA yesterday evening to just wait it out. He might have a week if he doesn't eat or drink anything or it might be longer. I wish we had a time frame but of course there's no way to know for sure when he will finally give it all up to God. My baby sister has checked funeral prices and was quoted anywhere from $1200 to $1600 for the funeral. The cremation and internment will be free if my Mom can find my Dad's discharge papers. I know she had them at one time but I'm not sure if she remembers where they were. I just don't know where we're going to get that kind of money. This sucks. My Dad might have to go to a paupers grave because he never planned ahead and took early retirement and was living off of just social security and a tiny, tiny pension. I shudder to think of what will happen to my Mom now without my Dad. I'm pretty sure her house will have to be sold unless they have the insurance that pays it off if one of them do pass away. I hope they have that insurance. We'll see........we've got a lot of plans to make even though my Dad hasn't passed yet. My husband and I will be making these plans in January and starting a burial plan too. I will not leave my children up in the air over what we want and having to figure out where to get money from for our burials. There's too much grief to be thinking straight when a loved one dies to be making these decisions last minute like we're having to do now.
Posted by Karen in Texas at 7:05 PM