Saturday, March 27, 2010

First Line Friday...




My friend Kathy loves books and bags and Bon Jovi. Not in that order necessarily but she has a love for first lines and came up with the idea for First Line Friday. You can find her here

http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-line-friday.html

First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?


I haven't done this in a while. I guess its time to start over again. Even if I post it on a different day its the fact that I'm doing it that matters right? LOL. Here goes....


The book in my TBR pile that I just started is The Atlantis Code by Charles Brokaw. It's got a quote on the cover by Deepak Chopra that promises me that if I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code that this book would take me to a new level of mystery, wonder and adventure. So yeah I didn't actually pick the book up because of the front line but because of the quote on the cover. The first line is great too though. I would have still gotten this book if I would have read the first line first. LOL. Here it is....


Thomas Lourds abandoned the comfort of the stretch limousine with reluctance and an unaccustomed sense of foreboding.

Anytime someone is in a stretch limousine it just screams big money and big money leads to intrigue usually in books like this one. I already know its a mystery involving antiquities and the Catholic church since the quote mentioned the Da Vinci Code. The few pages I've read so far its definitely going to be good. I can't wait to get further into it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Karen!
    You can do First Line Friday on any day :o)
    You should definitely "grab the graphic" as it was designed by a great friend of mine...lol!
    The first line is wonderful. I agree with you...it sounds like such a good book, I just put it on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shoot! I knew I forgot something Kathy. I'm going to go back and edit it in. LOL. Hope you enjoy it too. I'm off to read for a little bit later tonight too.

    ReplyDelete