Saturday, May 1, 2010

First Line Friday

If you got here from Kathy's blog looking for great graphics thanks for coming by. You can go here

http://grabitgraphics.blogspot.com/

Just drop me a comment about what you're looking for and I'll see what I can come up with. I make a lot of fun things for Kathy as for being great at it I'm my own worst critic of course.



My friend Kathy loves books and bags and Bon Jovi. Not in that order necessarily but she has a love for first lines and came up with the idea for First Line Friday. You can find her here

http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-line-friday.html


First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
My book choice for todays (okay I'm a day late and a dollar short but I'm here) First Line Friday is Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox. I'm posting the whole first paragraph because when I picked this book up I just couldn't stop at the first line.
Chapter One
A Wake-up Call
Gainesville, Florida - November 1990
I woke up to find the message in my left hand. It had me trembling. It wasn't a fax, telegram, memo, or the usual sort of missive bringing disturbing news. In fact, my hand held nothing at all. The trembling was the message.
Since I know what is going on with Mr. Fox I know this will be an interesting read. He's a contemporary of sorts. I watched him on Family Ties and lusted after his Alex Keaton character with all the other girls too. When Tracy broke his heart on the show I cried right along with him. Now I have a chance to find out how he survived such devastating news of Parkinsons and how Tracy and their children helped him through it all. I have so much respect for Michael and his family. I really hope a cure is found for his disease.

1 comment:

  1. sounds awesome, Karen. thanks for another recommendation ;)

    ReplyDelete