Friday, April 24, 2009

First Line Friday

I'm following my friend Kathy and trying my hand at this so here go the rules. (Swiped from Kathy's blog)
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside.So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book.Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

Today's book from my TBR pile is Vegas Rich by Fern Michaels. It's an oldie. It was first published in 1996. I think I read that Zebra books is republishing these this year. Anyway, here's the first line.

The old attorney stared out his grimy windows and winced.

Hmm.....who died and who's getting something good out of it are my first thoughts from reading this line. Vegas Rich is the first book in a 3 book series about a rich family in Las Vegas. If these are as good as her Texas series I'll be a happy camper. I love family sagas.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!

    I love that you're doing First Line Friday.
    I think I read both those series when they came out. Let me know how you like them.

    ReplyDelete