Saturday, April 3, 2010

First Line Friday

My friend Kathy loves books and bags and Bon Jovi. Not in that order necessarily but she has a love for first lines and came up with the idea for First Line Friday. You can find her here
http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-line-friday.html


First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

Yeah! I'm doing another First Line Friday. I had my daughter grab a random book out of my TBR pile...er...make that box. It's definitely bigger than a pile. LOL. She grabbed Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold. I don't think I've ever read anything by her and I didn't buy this book but I got it from my Mom and/or sister Cheryl so I'm hoping its a good one. We'll find out. Here's the first line.

As the winter solstice approaches, the Beast of the Atlantic Nor'Easter awakens, like the Vampire rising from dormancy, to menace our Island.

Okay so it isn't the real first line of the book but a prelude about something that happened to the Island the book is set on way back in December of 1798. Here's the real first line of the book.

There's a photograph I keep in my bottom drawer, buried beneath the strips of wrapping paper that haven't yet found a gift that fits them.

And again, its still not the real first line but the beginning of the Prologue. LOL, I've never seen a book that has so many first lines.

Now for sure the real first line of chapter 1.

I glanced discreetly at the wall clock above the ballet barre.

Well the first two false starts are way better than that first line so I'm going to say the real first line is actually the prelude note from 1798. All I can say is this sounds like a mystery of a different kind for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Three first lines... wow! Of the three, I like the one about the photograph in the drawer the best.
    I love that you had J pick your book, I;m going to have M choose next week.
    Thanks for doing First Line Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing it Kathy. I've just got to remember what day is what. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, I like it the second one as well. the photograph in the drawer - makes you wanna know why it's important enough to mention (or keep) but not important enough to frame and put out on top of the dresser.
    darn it, now I'm gonna have to read the book ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I get finished with it Diane I can send it to you. I'll get your address when I do. Just remind me. :)

    ReplyDelete