Thursday, April 8, 2010

First Line Friday


My friend Kathy loves books and bags and Bon Jovi. Not in that order necessarily but she has a love for first lines and came up with the idea for First Line Friday. You can find her here
http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-line-friday.html


First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
Today's book is a Kathy recommended author by the name of Simon Brett. The name of the book is Cast, in Order of Disappearance. It's a Charles Paris mystery and Charles Paris is a down and out actor who is always involved in solving crimes set in theaters. At least that's the gist of it that I got out of one of Kathy's post about this book series. Forgive me if I'm wrong Kathy. I immediately pictured him as a Columbo type but without the bumbling. By that I mean he's always stumbling onto a mystery of some type in the plays he's in. It's an out of print book but I was able to find it at my other favorite site which is www.Paperbackswap.com. I love going and finding books of all types there. From for my family to my weird taste in some Science Fiction books. Anyway, here's the first line of the book that Kathy recommended.
"Charles, Charles love, its your cue." Can't get much more theatrical than that! I'm going to start it this weekend. Can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Karen! You're really on the ball... it's not even Friday yet! Again, thanks for doing First Line Friday and double thanks for using a book I recommended. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I thought it'd be nice to be ahead for a change Kathy. I love doing it when I have a lot of TBR books that I have no idea what they're about since I didn't buy them. It's a double treat for me.

    ReplyDelete